Turbine Operations

Subject [Flyers] Turbine Restrictions
To flyers@miramarrcflyers.com
Sent Tuesday, July 7, 2020 10:26 PM

Fellow MRCF members,

The MRCF Board has discussed the current weather and vegetation conditions surrounding the field.  We again had a fairly wet winter and spring that resulted in heavy vegetation growth.  The weather recently has been hot and dry.  During recovery searches for downed aircraft we have noticed that the grass and brush is tinder dry.  The MRCF website includes a link to the current fire conditions.  The area around the filed is listed as severe as of 7/7/2020.  This high fuel load and dry conditions make fire a serious concern.  Because of the current conditions the MRCF Board has elected to suspend turbine operations for the summer.  This was a decision not taken lightly as we know it impacts a number of members.  However, a fire resulting from a downed aircraft would likely adversely affect our continued use of the field.  When conditions improve, we will reopen the field to turbines.   This issue will be on the agenda at the club meeting July.

Let me know if there are any questions or concerns.

Don Drew